The Best Fabric De-Stash Project
Octopus Garden Collage Quilt Pattern by Laura Heine
Collage quilts are the perfect way to burn through your fabric stash and get super creative. Octopus Garden by Laura Heine would definitely look great in either batiks or any cotton fabric.
- 4″-9″ x 11″ or so of 16-18 different pale pinks to orange to purple fabrics for the Octopus. You will need at least 2-3 different fabrics that look similar in color and value for each leg
- 4″-8″x11″ of 9-11 different circle fabrics for the suckers. These fabrics will need to slightly contrast with the corresponding leg fabrics but not overpower them.
- 6″ square to 6″ x 11″ or so of 18-20 different blues and greens for the ocean. These fabrics will need to create a shading effect. You will need medium and darks in both colors.
- 6″-9″ x 11″ of 16-19 different cuttable fabrics for the garden. You will need fish, turtles, flowers, vines, seahorses, mermaids, and any other things you want in your ocean. You will need florals for the eyes of the octopus and florals that are the same value of the fabric you use for the body.
- scrap of dark grey to black fabric for the pupils
- 6″-8″x40″ or so of a fun fabric for the bottom of the ocean.
- 1 1/4 yards of Pattern Ease Foundation
- About 8 yard of 24″ wide Steam a Seam 2
- Goddess Applique Pressing Sheet
- Karen K Buckley medium size Perfect Scissors with serrated edges
- #2 pencil and Sharpie Pen
- 1/4 yard of binding fabric
- 1 1/2 yards of backing fabric